The Darkest Minds

Alexandra Bracken
Reviewed by Ruby

The Darkest Minds is the first book in this gripping book series. It is written by Alexandra Bracken and is recommended 13+.

It all starts just before Ruby’s 10th birthday, when she witnesses the devastating effect of the child-killing disease. 98% of the population of children died with the remaining 2% becoming something even more dangerous. They were rounded up and sent off to ‘rehabilitation’ camps.

The kids who survived developed special powers. The government assigned each power a different colour: blue, they have telekinetic abilities; green, have enhanced intelligence; orange, classed as one of the most dangerous have the power to manipulate others minds into doing their bidding; and reds, have the power of fire.

Ruby and another boy escaped the camp with the help of an undercover agent. When nothing is what is what it seems, she ran away and found other teenagers, who had also escaped their camp, and joined them to find a supposed safe haven for all Psi (the kids who developed powers) kids.

Ruby is an amazing character and will do anything to protect the people she loves. The other characters that play a big part in the story are Liam, Chubs, Zu (Suzume) and Clancy. Clancy had been supposedly been cured of his psi powers, but he still has his orange powers. The other three are great friends and all broke out of their camp together. There is a definite romantic connection between Ruby and Liam, and it is so sweet.

The story is written in first person, from Ruby’s point of view. It played quite a big part in the book as it was all her thoughts and you don’t know what happened to other characters when they weren’t with Ruby, which makes it that much more mysterious. Everything was described in great detail, making a clear picture in your mind of what was happening. The way the author described the characters emotions made it feel like you were the character in that position.

                     

When I was reading this book, I never wanted to put it down. The Darkest Minds is a real page turner and I loved every second I spent reading it. The book empowers children to fight for their rights. I would recommend this book to any teen or adult who loves a good sci-fi thriller book.     

Ruby, age 11

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.